The St Ives School refers to a group of artists associated with the fishing town of St Ives in Cornwall that emerged as a hub for developments in British art from the 1940s until the 1960s.
With the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, artists Ben Nicholson and Barbara Hepworth, his then-wife, moved to Cornwall where they were joined by Naum Gabo soon after. Under the direction of Hepworth and Nicholson, St Ives quickly became an outpost for movements in modern and abstract British art.
From 1950 younger artists, Terry Frost, Patrick Heron, Peter Lanyon, Roger Hilton and Bryan Wynter among them, joined the group. Their work was shown in the Festival of Britain and achieved international recognition.